Friday, February 3, 2012

Jerry Quiller

Former CU track and cross country coach, Jerry Quiller


Today I woke up to the sad news that my former college coach, Jerry Quiller passed away. I found two articles that are worth reading, both describing Quillers accomplishments and talents, the Coloradan article and this one is from a few years ago in the Denver Post.

When I was at C.U., it was unfortunately when my running career was coming to an end. My body was giving out, and I was long past chronic fatigue and facing sheer apathy. Coach Quiller was such a kind soul. He probably knew there wasn't much he could do for me at that point, but he was always encouraging with his words. I regret not being able to run to my potential with him. Despite everything, he still did his best to support me. I will always remember how nice he was to all of us on the team. His smile will remain in my memory forever.

My deepest sympathy goes out to his friends and family. He will be greatly missed. Before Wetmore there was Quiller, and without him, the C.U. program wouldn't be what it is today.

4 comments:

  1. So sorry, Lize. The bond between a (good) coach and athlete can be so strong. Condolences to his family, friends, and former athletes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Sorry, Lize! When I was in high school I lost my coach, too. It hurt! I can still see him cheering me on during a hard workout...they never really leave us, I think.

    Take care. - M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much. I'm sorry you lost your coach in high school. You're right though. They do stay with us in one way or another. I love the way you worded that.

    ReplyDelete