Monday, July 29, 2013

One Step

This injury is one of those one step forward, one step back situations. As long as there is overall improvement, no matter what direction I step, I remain hopeful and try to avoid freaking out over the backwards stepping. It's a tough situation to be in when you get glimpses of what running can be like, but you're not there yet. Apparently, the technical term for my condition (or the most limiting part of my condition, as there are several issues going on at once) is Ischiogluteal Bursitis. It's basically a pain the the ass.

Last night I slept well for the first time in a really long time. Things that had been weighing on me were suddenly lifted, and having clarity, even if the outcome wasn't what I wanted, allowed me to let go and rest. It felt good. My body and mind both needed it, and I realize how important sleep is in healing all wounds, emotional and physical.

Saturday was a fun night, compete with good company, good food and interesting adventures. I have to say that sweet potato fries get me overly excited. I'm slightly embarrassed that I was caught with fries in both hands at one point during dinner, but they are so gooood!

Sunday was hell. Skip that and jump to today, which is looking like it will be a good day.

I'm just finishing up a short story that has been haunting me. Oddly enough, it is a horror story, though it's not all that scary, really. I will need to go back and see if I can up the creepy factor by a fair amount. I have three ideas for the ending and can't decide which one will come out as my final choice. Coming to the end of a story is always bitter sweet for me. There's a sense of relief that it's done, an awareness that it needs editing and rewriting, and even a bit of sadness as the relationship to it comes to a close. Of all the stories I have done recently, it's my least favorite, but it has taken the most effort. Sometimes, like with running, you can have a great race and not feel all that tired, but the races in which you struggle can teach you a great deal.

I'm going to make more of an effort to blog more regularly here. I haven't been good about that lately.




2 comments:

  1. You're better than most when it comes to blogging. I'm following some who don't write for months at a time. And you've got the excuse of the story writing too.

    Sounds like you're making progress. Not dragging your leg behind you to run a 12 minute mile like Mark Covert. 'Glimpses' are good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ewen!

      I'm always amazed that there are people who blog daily. I sometimes feel like I'm neglecting my blogging duties, but I suppose now and then is better than nothing at all.

      Delete